Translate

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Spring into Poetry: Resources for K-12

Even though everyone warns me of an imminent April/May snowstorm, my thoughts cannot help but be distracted by the wonderful spring weather we're seeing here in Southeastern Alberta. Spring, in this part of the world, naturally enables us as humans to feel more inspired as the daylight increases and nature seems to awaken us from the long winter months.

Stockvault - Sparring marmots in Glacier Park
As a literacy teacher, I always loved springtime in the classroom as my emphasis on poetry increased and once I got over my initial fears of  'tackling' poetry early on in my career, I found that my students and I both loved it.

In reflection, I think it somehow seemed far easier for me to use poetry as mentor texts with my students, whereas I was less comfortable doing so with fiction and non-fiction texts.





This post is dedicated to sharing POETRY resources that might inspire teachers in their K-12 classrooms.

Austin Kleon - Blackout Poetry






I recently wrote about one of my new favourite poetry styles called Blackout poetry by Austin Kleon from Texas.  He literally blacks out words on a published text (newspaper/magazine article, etc.) to create his poetry as you can see in this poem titled "100 Things That Made My Year". Learn more about his work at http://austinkleon.com/







Edutopia Newsletter








A newsletter from Edutopia highlights National Poetry Month for our neighbours to the south and they have three great links to poetry that will inspire even those who still feel stuck in the snowy world of winter. Check out their website at http://goo.gl/GP2Hn3
If you have poetry resource links you would like me to share, please pass them along and I will get them out asap.

Wishing you all exceptional inspiration as you teach poetry this spring...
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment